That doesn’t really make sense, because it’s Random Tuesday Thoughts.
- On Monday, I took Zoey to the dentist. Which was good, because on Thursday, I spaced her appointment. However, I did have to sit in the chair and hold her down while they cleaned her teeth and painted on some fluoride. I’m glad this is not more often than every six months. At the end of the appointment, Zoey was showered with prizes and gifts. I think there should be a little Starbucks card for mom, or SOMETHING after enduring that. I could have hidden Zoey’s prizes after 5 minutes, and she wouldn’t have remembered. I’ll be scarred for weeks.
- I learned more in 5 minutes of eavesdropping on my 4th grader than I’ve gotten in weeks. I wasn’t being sneaky, mind you. They just forgot I was in earshot. First of all, I didn’t realize my 9 year old actually lived in the Valley in the 80s. “Ummm…YAH!!” And apparently at her last sleepover, they were up at 2 am sneaking into the kitchen for peanut butter and beef jerky. “But…PROBLEM…we didn’t have spoons!” Yuck. Shortly after they remembered I could hear them, but before they hastily retreated to her room, that child looked me straight in the face and gave me some quintessential teenage attitude. And then apologized, based on my facial expression. She’s still a good kid.
- My 7 year old wants to be a dog for Halloween. But not just any dog, her teacher’s dog. So I need to create a costume for a white springer spaniel with orangey brown spots. No problem! *sigh* Today we’ve received pictures of the dog. There’s talk of borrowing a collar of said dog. And a possible playdate with the dogs (and the friend who is dressing up as the other dog), to be able to get into character. This has gotten very serious, and I’m really going to have to deliver on this costume.
- I haven’t had a haircut since May. It’s too much work to try and get in for one. At first I didn’t care, but now my hair is stringy and bedraggled. So I look in the mirror and say, “I need a haircut so very badly. I’m going to make an appointment.” And then I think about how hard it is to find a time and say, “Nobody’s looking at my hair anyway.” This is the attitude that gets people on What Not to Wear. And Me From 10 Years Ago thinks that’s sad. Me From Today thinks nobody’s looking at my hair.
- Did anybody watch What Not to Wear before it was Stacy & Clinton? When it was Stacy & Wayne? At first I didn’t like when it switched to Clinton, but now I can’t imagine it without him. I want to shop with him. And I miss Nick Arrojo doing hair.
- I’ve been watching a lot of HGTV lately. I’ve decided I will never remodel anything unless it’s for one of these shows. It seems way too scary on your own. Which brings me to a question: Do you think it’s a sin to paint or stain oak so it doesn’t look like oak? Our house is chock full of oak, and it’s just not my favorite. But it’s a perfectly good wood, so I’d feel kind of bad changing it. Someone really wanted oak in here, and paid for oak. I’m probably not going to do anything about it, because it would be a slippery slope. Like we’d have to change everything all at once. Vanities. Baseboards. Doors. Trim. The fireplace mantel. SO MUCH OAK. I have a hard time with the idea of changing something I don’t like, if it’s in perfectly good condition. But it’s OUR house. Not the Oak and Brass People’s house. In the end, I’ll just be too lazy to change it. Partially because I can’t visualize it darker, and that makes me nervous.
Well, I think I’ve achieved random. If it wasn’t enough for you, Stacy’s got more.